Our cohousing community will provide individual living space with common areas and shared facilities (e.g. laundry, bike shed, guest accommodation, workshop, shared garden spaces) and we expect to be able to enjoy shared cooking, eating and celebrations in our common house.
- The community will respect members’ personal life and privacy.
- Cohousing upon Tyne aims to support and engage with the surrounding community.
- The community will be built and run with respect to the environment and have as low an impact on the planet as possible. It will be sited in a location with good access to public transport and amenities. There will be a membership system. Members will be accepted by existing members using an agreed process.
- The community will be run by all members on a shared basis. There is an expectation that all members will contribute to the work of living in community.
- We plan to develop affordable housing and for that housing to remain affordable for the future.
- We aim to create an environment in which neighbourliness can thrive.
- We will have a collective governance structure with shared decision-making and shared responsibility.
You can find out more about us from our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cohousingupontyne/
Do 'like' us and request to join our email circulation list to hear about future social and new member recruitment events!
e hope to expand the group in the near future, so please get in touch if you are interested. We hold fairly regular social / induction events.
The focus is on finding a site and raising money. The group will have to work up a business plan and may have commissioned some feasibility studies. They may have their first experience of small scale contracts with professionals. This stage ends when a ‘definite’ site is found. There may be several iterations of this stage.